Why use a temporal artery thermometer for your child?
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase an item or service through any of my links, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Temporal artery thermometry is a completely new method of temperature assessment, using infrared technology to detect the heat naturally emitting from the skin surface. In addition, the method incorporates a patented arterial heat balance system to automatically account for the effects of ambient temperature on the skin.
Temperatures are more reliable than with other methods. Fevers are identified sooner. Treatment can be initiated sooner. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends temporal artery thermometers as the next best thing to a rectal temperature.
If you want the most accurate, yet least invasive thermometer for your child, this is hands down, the very best non-rectal thermometer. The Exergen TAT5000 Temporal Artery Scanner is considered more accurate than ear thermometers and comparable to rectal according to multiple hospital studies, as well as a study on infants at Harvard Medical.
- Accurate readings in less than a second
- Completely non-invasive, just a light touch
- Fast, safe, and comfortable for the child
- Fast, easy, and convenient for the parent
- Proven more accurate than ear or oral thermometry
- Easy to use, just press button, slide across temple, then release button
- Can compensate for evaporative cooling on sweaty children
- Lifetime guarantee (we love this!)
- Expense. This depends on how you look at it. On one hand, yes, it is an expensive thermometer compared to most. However, with a lifetime guarantee there is a good chance you would spend less on this thermometer than you would replacing cheaper models.
Another great option in forehead thermometers is the Exergen TAT 2000. It is quick, accurate, and easy to use.
- Smart glow for reading temps in the dark
- Quick readings
- No probe covers
- 1,000 readings per second
- Uses 9 volt battery
- Recommended by the AAP
- Very affordable
- Cannot be silenced
While there are a few more temporal artery thermometers on the market, I can’t truthfully say any of them are comparable to the Exergen brand. Many well known brands like Braun and OccoBaby continue to make great thermometers, but not in the temporal scanner market.
The American Academy of Pediatrics specifically recommends Exergen and my experience with them has been positive. They are easy to use, accurate, fast, and non-invasive– all very important when you have a sick child at home.